Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Mt Timpanogos

When I was a freshman in college, I hiked Mount Timpanogos. It's fourteen miles roundtrip and 11,700 feet elevation. I don't know. I guess it would be considered a difficult hike. I'm not really sure. I don't remember any of that.

I just remember doing it with my brother and cousin and our two overweight dogs. The dogs (Retriever/Samoyed Mix) ate a lot of food and never really bothered to exercise except when we took it upon ourselves to take them skiing hiking on a whim. They were good sports and could keep up when they needed to. Then go back to a dog food induced coma as soon as we got home. Seriously. They slept for days. That probably makes me a terrible dog owner but they were happy and I was eighteen. So.

Anyway. The dogs are important to this story. Their names were Dandy and Seven.

Like a lot of people, we decided that we would start hiking somewhere in the middle of the night. I can't remember the reasoning behind it other than it's a long hike. A lot of people did it that way or would at least get a really early start. So we drove to the trailhead at about 8:00 at night. The parking lot was completely empty. We parked right in the center of the parking lot and slept in my cousin Derek's Volkswagen Vanagon. Which was dumb. We thought we would get to sleep early and wake up at 2 am. But really. How are you going to get to sleep at 8:00? It was still light outside and we were sleeping in a car with three adults and two dogs.

I think the dogs were a bit spooked. We never took them for long rides in the car. This was probably their first and only 2 hour car ride. Plus, we left them alone for a couple hours that night while we ate at a restaurant. All of this was new to them. They seemed uneasy.

Which proved to be the case.

Somewhere around the middle of the night Dandy and Seven started throwing up. You can always tell when a dog is going to throw up because they give you about a thirty second warning when the dry heaving starts. We heard it and it was a scramble to wake up, slide open the door, and throw them out onto road. They threw up pretty much the whole night long. It was disgusting, nasty business.

Needless to say we did not get up at 2 am to start hiking.

When we finally did get up the entire parking lot was full. Except for a generous hazard area around our car. I can only imagine what people thought. The smell was pretty terrible. We were calling ourselves the gypsy camp.

But we ended up hiking anyway. Dandy and Seven were champs. Made it the whole way without puking once.

They were some really awesome dogs.

No comments: